20 Acts of Kindness That Don't Cost A Penny
Can you remember a time when a total stranger did something kind for you? Most often, kindness elicits a response in ourselves and we want to pass along that warm feeling to someone else. If you have the energy, a great way to make someone's day during a difficult time is by performing a random act of kindness. It may help lower your stress levels as well. We’ve compiled a list of random acts of kindness that you can do without spending a penny.
Random Acts of Kindness
- Hold the door for a stranger.
- Pick up litter when you see it.
- Volunteer at a local charity.
- Donate blood.
- Organize a canned food drive at your work to donate to a local shelter.
- Send a gratitude card to a friend or family member.
- Give a compliment.
- Smile at a stranger.
- Volunteer or visit a local nursing home.
- Donate clothes that are new or in very good condition to a shelter.
- Cut out coupons that you won’t use and stick them on the appropriate items at the store.
- Leave an anonymous, positive note on a piece of paper on public bathroom mirror.
- Let people merge during traffic.
- Help an elderly person cross the street.
- Say ‘Good Morning’ or ‘Thank you’ to public service workers.
- Offer to pet-sit for your friend for free.
- Donate books to the local library.
- Let someone with less items go before you in line at the grocery store.
- Ask to sit with someone who is eating alone.
- Ask someone how they are doing today and actually listen to their response.
So many acts of kindness don't cost anything other than a little effort. Usually that small outward action is returned to you tenfold. Try it for yourself and see how you feel.